Today Anne talks with Andrea Cumbo-Floyd, a writer, teacher, editor, and farmer based in Charlottesville, Virginia. ("Sometimes more of one of those than the other," she says.) Andi is the author of Steele Secrets, The Slaves Have Names, and Writing Day In and Day Out: Living a Practice of Words.
Andi and Anne discuss about strong female characters, genre-bending novels, and reading diverse books. Her favorites are all over the place, and she has strong feelings about her hated pick, which makes for a fun conversation.
Connect with Andrea on her site and twitter.
Books discussed in this episode:
• Head Off and Split by Nikki Finney
• Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor
• The Cloister Walk by Kathleen Norris
• The Quotidian Mysteries by Kathleen Norris
• Ulysses by James Joyce
• The Dead by James Joyce
• Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson
• Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry
• The Long Quiche Goodbye by Avery Aames
• When Women Were Birds by Terry Tempest Williams
• Refuge by Terry Tempest Williams
• The Killing Moon by Nora Jemison
• Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler
• Kindred by Octavia Butler
• The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
• Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
• Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
• The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Also mentioned in this episode:
• For an adult reader, the possible verdicts are five.
• Talking about books I don't like.
• Raising readers, books that find you, and making the library people hate you with Deidra Riggs.
This episode is sponsored by Book of the Month.
Every month a panel of five judges each chooses a book the love; subscribers pick one from that curated list and get it shipped straight to their door with free shipping. It's a fun, convenient, and affordable way to discover books you might not find otherwise.
If you're not interested in any of the selections, you can skip that month.
Book of the Month has a special deal for What Should I Read Next listeners: get 50% off a new 3-month subscription with the code READNEXT. That means you get 3 new hardcovers for $7.50 each.
Can't pick just one? Subscribers can order additional titles each month for $9.99 each. (Free shipping is always included.)
Try Audible for yourself:
Click here to try Audible for yourself today and get two free audiobooks with your free 30-day trial.
Like the podcast? Your review helps the new show so much!
- Tap/click iTunes or App Store.
- Search for "What Should I Read Next"
- Tap/click on the square picture of the book + headphones
- If you're not signed in, tap Use Existing Apple ID. (If you don't have an Apple ID, tape Create New Apple ID.)
- Select a star rating, enter a title, write your short review, and tap/click Send.