Today Anne chats with Grace Martin, a 12-year-old bibliophile who lives with her family outside Chicago.
Grace loves Harry Potter, dystopian novels, and strong plotting and she’s incredibly well spoken about her taste in literature. Anne also chats a bit with Grace’s mom Lara about raising readers and helping kids choose good books for themselves.
Books discussed in this episode:
• Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
• Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling
• The Martian by Andy Weir
• The Warriors Series by Erin Hunter
• Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer
• Hoot by Carl Hiaasen
• Divergent by Veronica Roth
• All Summer in a Day by Ray Bradbury
• Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
• The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker
• Ultraviolet by R. J. Anderson
• Wednesday Is Indigo Blue: Discovering the Brain of Synesthesia by David Eagleman
This episode is sponsored by Book of the Month.
Every month a panel of five judges each chooses a book the love; subscribers pick one from that curated list and get it shipped straight to their door with free shipping. It's a fun, convenient, and affordable way to discover books you might not find otherwise.
If you're not interested in any of the selections, you can skip that month.
Book of the Month has a special deal for What Should I Read Next listeners: get 50% off a new 3-month subscription with the code READNEXT. That means you get 3 new hardcovers for $7.50 each.
Can't pick just one? Subscribers can order additional titles each month for $9.99 each. (Free shipping is always included.)
Try Audible for yourself:
Like the podcast? Your review helps the new show so much!
Follow @whatshouldireadnext on instagram.
Get even more book recommendations by signing up for the WSIRN newsletter.
Do YOU have an idea for what Grace should read next? Leave her a recommendation in comments on the show's site!