Today Anne chats with Brian Sztabnik, an Englishteacher,basketball coach, and podcaster who lives on Long Islandwith hiswife and two sons.
Anne and Brian discuss great literary fiction, booksaboutcreative pursuits, reading with others, and highschoolEnglish.When Anne says this episode takes her straightbackto AP high school English with Mr. Kalb she means it inthebest way possible.
Books discussed in this episode:
• TalkLikeTED by CarmineGallo
• Divergent by VeronicaRoth
• Twilight byStephenieMeyer
• Lord of the Rings by J.R.R.Tolkien
• Mudbound by HillaryJordan
• Heart of Darkness byJosephConrad
• The War of Art byStevenPressfield
• Let the Great WorldSpin byColum McCann
• Slaughterhouse Five byKurtVonnegut
• Lincoln's Virtues by WilliamLeeMiller
• Extreme Ownership: How U.S.NavySEALs Lead and Win by Jocko Willink
• To Kill a Mockingbird byHarperLee
• Macbeth byWilliamShakespeare
• The Grapes of Wrath byJohnSteinbeck
• Frankenstein byMaryShelley
• City on Fire by GarthRiskHallberg
• Where'd YouGo,Bernadette by Maria Semple
• Euphoria by Lily King
• The Getaway Car byAnnPatchett
• The Patron Saint of Liars byAnnPatchett
Also mentioned in this episode:
This episode is sponsored by Book of the Month.
Every month a panel of five judges each chooses a book theylove;subscribers pick one from that curated list and get itshippedstraight to their door with free shipping. It'safun,convenient, and affordable way to discover books you mightnotfind otherwise.
Book of the Month has a special deal for What Should I ReadNextlisteners: get 50% off a new 3-month subscription with thecodeREADNEXT. That means you get 3 new hardcovers for $7.50each.The 50% offer is good through May 3 so don't wait! (After May3you'll get 30% off your new membership. Still worth it.)
Can't pick just one? Subscribers can order additional titleseachmonth for $9.99 each. (Free shipping is always included.)
Try Audible for yourself:
Like the podcast? Your review helps the new show so much!