Today's guest is Ana Salazar. Ana is a Columbian who’s now living in Peru, and she’s been, as she says, "absolutely obsessed” with reading for her whole life, so much so that her parents had to physically drag her away from bookstores when she was growing up. Anne and Ana discuss the joys and challenges of reading across borders, unpack Ana's love for the genre she's been loving recently, and explore why a Kindle is an absolutely magical device for international readers.
Do and Ana have similar taste? Have a book recommendation for her burning in your soul? Shout it out on the podcast site! (And feel free to list all the ways e-readers make YOUR life magical.)
Books discussed in this episode:
• The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho
• Animal Farm, by George Orwell
• Anna Karenina, by Leo Tolstoy
• The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, by Junot Díaz
• Claire of the Sea Light, by Rumaan Alam
• Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury
• The Girl With All The Gifts, by M.R. Carey
• Harry potter series, by J.K. Rowling
• Harry Potter & The Cursed Child, by J.K. Rowling &
• The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, by N.K. Jemisin
• The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins
• The Interestings, by Meg Wolitzer
• Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkein
• The Neverending Story, by Michael Ende
• Northanger Abbey, by Jane Austen
• Pride & Prejudice, by Jane Austen
• Rich & Pretty, by Rumaan Alam
• Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe
• This is How You Lose Her, by Junot Díaz
• Who Fears Death, by Nnedi Okorafor
• 1984, by George Orwell
•Junot Díaz' critique of liberal arts programs:
- MFA vs. POC (via The New Yorker)
- Junot Díaz's Syllabi & Reading List for His MIT Writing Class (via Open Culture)
ThirdLove is an exciting new lingerie brand that wants to spare you the agony of trying on dozens of bras in the department store dressing room and STILL not getting the right fit. ThirdLove uses real women’s measurements to create better fitting bras. With ThirdLove, you order from your home, they ship to your door. And then YOU decide if the fit is right for you. ThirdLove offers a 100% fit guarantee - returns and exchanges are always free
Try ThirdLove’s best-selling 24/7 T-shirt bra for FREE for 30 days, just cover shipping! Start your trial now.
FabFitFun is a subscription box with premium, full-size fashion, beauty, fitness and lifestyle products. The box comes out once each season, and retails for $49.99 but always has a value over $200. In fact the Fall Box's value is $250!
What Should I Read Next listeners can use coupon code READNEXT to get $10 off their first box. Plus, if you refer a friend, you will get $15 off of your box and their friend will get $10 off their box. Subscribe at fabfitfun.com.
LoveTheWild is a deliciously sustainable fish company with a wild side. Only 1 in 5 people eat enough seafood, and LoveTheWild is on a mission to change that with irresistible flavors and fool-proof preparation.
Swim to LoveTheWild.com, look for the podcast callout and enter the code READNEXT to save $5 on your purchase.